Tuesday, January 20, 2015

A Toothless Smile




“Wow,” my friend said to my son, “Did you lose a tooth?”  

“I lost FIVE all at the same time!” exclaimed Noah with pride.

It was nothing exciting like a baseball smashing his teeth out as he slid into home plate or a bobcat attack.  The circumstances were as boring as they get.  Noah’s five front baby teeth weren’t coming out, and they needed to be out pronto to make room for the new ones.  

As we made our appointment with the dentist, I reminded her that Noah’s body cannot handle the laughing gas, so he would have to get them removed fully awake and aware.  

“Well,” she said, “This does not normally go well without the laughing gas to relax them.  We will get as many out as we can, but you may have to do this in several appointments.”

As I sat in the waiting room, I let my freak flag fly high.  Since I had given up being considered normal long ago, this wasn’t even a challenge for me.  In front of the whole waiting room, I pulled off Noah’s socks and lathered his feet up with Peace & Calming, Stress Away, and Lavender to help him totally relax.  I also put Valor on his wrists and temples for confidence.

“Noah!”  the assistant called. 

I must have had a worried look on my face as Noah got up because he looked back at me said, “I got this Mom.”

20 minutes later, Noah was in my car with a mouth full of cotton and a jar full of teeth.  The doctor couldn’t believe that Noah was so relaxed and brave that she was able to get all five of the teeth out!




 
For questions or more information: julie_hornok@yahoo.com


No comments:

Post a Comment